Job Listing: Provident Foundation Executive Director
Department Title: Provident Foundation Executive Director
Reports to: Chair of the Provident Board
Date: November 2020
Provident Foundation is seeking an Executive Director to develop and lead long-term organizational strategy, partnerships, and growth efforts. This position will report to the Board of Directors and have direct supervision of key staff members.
The Provident Foundation, located in Chicago, is dedicated to preserving the living legacy of Provident Hospital and the contributions of Dr. Daniel Hale Williams, by promoting education for and providing scholarship opportunities to urban youth pursuing careers as doctors, nurses and health care professionals. The Provident Foundation’s philanthropic agenda includes recognizing individuals who have exemplified excellence in the field of medicine while unselfishly giving their time and resources to serve their communities. The Provident Foundation also awards scholarships to hardworking students who are currently enrolled in medical and nursing schools and pursuing careers in the healthcare profession. The Executive Director is a strong, public-facing voice and leader of our organization. Provident has developed a long-term growth and programming plan. In addition to guiding the ongoing organizational success, the Executive Director will lead in refining and executing our growth plans to expand our impact and community footprint on the South and West sides of Chicago.
We see the Provident Foundation as a powerful, productive, innovative force in our community. In the twenty-five years since we first opened our doors, we have supported successful and competitive medical scholars from Chicago’s South Side to promote community health and wellbeing. This is a unique time and opportunity in the Provident Foundation’s history, and we seek a new Executive Director to continue to build upon our legacy, be inspired by our mission, and motivated to lead the organization to its next great horizon.
- Lead strategy, planning and execution of the development of Provident Scholar’s Fund and associated fundraising events
- Architect and implement strategies to partner with the surrounding community and expand Provident Foundation’s programming and impact
- Lead development planning and execution (including individual, corporate and foundation funding) to support ongoing operations and growth plans
- Identify new high potential donors and secure marquee gifts to support organizational growth
- Set vision for, measure, and communicate organizational performance to board and key stakeholders, including both academic and financial measures
- Oversee organization technology strategy and funding to support goals
- Manage relations with key stakeholders (funders, local politicians, community leaders, educational partners, etc.) to promote organizational priorities and community inclusiveness
- Oversee marketing and branding efforts, including annual marketing spend and strategy
- Oversee website and social media/online presence
- Prepare schedule of and content for board of director’s reports to ensure board is well informed of progress
- Facilitate and oversee key board committees
- Act as the main point of contact for Board Chair
- Oversee development and management of annual operating budget with board support
- Work with accountant to prepare timely and accurate financial reporting information for board
- Play lead role, with board consultation, in financial decision making for the organization
- Manage local and state government compliance
Skills and Accreditations
- Bachelor’s degree required, relevant graduate degree preferred
- At least 8 years of management experience, including staff supervision, strategic vision setting, and execution
- Previous leadership experience preferred
- Demonstrated successful, relevant fundraising and board management experience
- Results-focused, highly organized self-starter who works effectively with others and independently
- Ability to confidently manage a deadline-driven workload with poise and optimism
- Outstanding strategic planning and execution skills, with demonstrated successful experience leading a major initiative with measurable results
- Poise and networking skills to effectively act as the external face of the organization, with a track record of building strategic partnerships
- Extensive professional network and passion for building the organization’s network of donors and investors with a successful track record of raising funds from a variety of stakeholders
- Executive level management experience with track record of results that exceed established goals, including experience developing and managing teams.
- Problem-solver with ability to modify best practices to fit the Provident Foundation’s resources and needs
- Ability to work collaboratively and with professional maturity with major donors, board, and staff
This is a professional position that requires the consultant to be self-motivated, proactive, curious, collaborative, responsible, and flexible. The successful candidate will work with a highly engaged board of directors and will be required to attend monthly board meetings, be available on occasional evening and weekends, and have reliable transportation or utilize public transportation.
Salary and Benefits:
The annual salary for this full-time consultant position is $54,000.
The Provident Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women and men, people of color, immigrant, bilingual, and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and gender non-binary communities.